Thursday, July 28, 2011

Battle On, Warrior Princess!


Ok, the title is a complete joke between my mom and I. We both always get a huge kick out of the cheesy breast cancer slogans but it is partly true that fighting cancer is a complete battle and you have to be a warrior to make it! The stuff that I’ve seen my mom go through in the last 2 years is NOT for the weak. I’ve seen her screaming in pain as they injected dye into her that felt like fire going under the skin, I’ve seen her weak as a child after she had body parts chopped off, I’ve seen her wake up in a pool of blood from leaky drains, I’ve seen half of her torso covered in green and purple bruising, I’ve seen her chest bright maroon with burns from radiation…it hasn’t been pretty but she’s survived it all! Maybe calling her a “warrior princess” isn’t that farfetched.

My mom hasn’t had the easiest life. She’s gone through just about every trial a woman can go through. I would probably be a crazy person if I had lived her life, yet she continues to trust God and give Him glory for the little triumphs like meeting a nice realtor or hearing her favorite song on the radio. She has fought this battle and made it through. Her last round of radiation was last week and now she just has some non-chemo intravenous treatments once a week until January but she can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The last five years I have seen my mom start a new career, battle for her life and move across the country by herself. She is no wimp. I hope that some of that strength is genetic and I can come by it naturally when I need it. I’m thankful for a mom who has taught me that women can be strong and beautiful at the same time. She truly is a steel magnolia.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Ashy....and you are correct in each and every statement....Warrior Princess indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you see the strength and amazing faith of your mom, Ash. She's amazing. I love her dearly and am in awe of her strength as her little sister. She's a very important member of the "O Sisterhood". The fearsome foursome plans to take New York by storm for your Mom's birthday next year! O Sisters forever! Love you, Sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute to your mom. I agree with all you said. I am blessed that she is my sister and you are my niece. The sisters will storm New York. Love you

    ReplyDelete